GED Information

High School Equivalency (GED, HiSET and TASC)

Are you an adult who did not complete high school and earn your high school diploma? You can through the high school equivalency program called GED. Most colleges and universities require that you have a high school diploma or equivalent to take courses and to enroll in degree programs. We have information, tools and tips for helping you secure the GED. Follow the links below to learn more about the GED and services available to you. Do not let the lack of a high school diploma hold you back from attaining your educational goals - take the GED! It may have been several years since you were in school. You may have left school and were never able to return for a variety of reasons. Whatever the reason you can take the GED now and continue with your education and career goals. To assist with the transition, remember to say "High School Equivalency" rather than "GED."

What is the GED?

General Educational Development, or GED, is an examination program and an alternative path to securing your high school diploma. It tests your knowledge and skills to show you have high school level academic skills equivalent to those required to earn a high school diploma. A passing score on the GED will earn you the GED diploma, which is recognized by the vast majority of colleges and employers as the equivalent of a high school diploma.  You are eligible to take the GED tests if you have not graduated from high school, are not currently a high school student and are at least 16 years of age. There may be other state requirements (e.g. length of time since leaving school) which differ from state to state, so check on your home state information (links below).

What is HiSET?

Beginning January 1, 2014, the Louisiana High School Equivalency diploma will be based on the HiSET test from Educational Testing Service (ETS) instead of the GED test from GED Testing Service (GEDTS). It's a new world in high school equivalency.  For the first time, more than one high school equivalency test is available to states. Even though high school equivalency has always been based on state certification, most people have referred to the "GED" as the generic title.  Now many states, including Louisiana, have conducted Request for Proposal (RFP) processes to select a high school equivalency test.  The HiSET product is affordable and accessible via computer and paper-based tests. The HiSET website contains information for educators, test center administrators, and test takers.

What is TASC?

West Virginia currently uses the TASC Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) to demonstrate the attainment of skills equivalent to those at the high school completion level. Many people just like you have taken the TASC Tests to get a better job, continue their education, or prove to themselves they can accomplish dreams they once thought were impossible.

This website will give you an insight to the TASC; and it will walk you through all the steps needed to prepare for and earn this valuable credential.

The West Virginia Department of Education provides the state TASC policy. Questions about the TASC tests or any of its policies or procedures should be addressed to the WV State TASCAdministrator,  304.558.6315, 800.642.2670.


State Resource
{{ x.linkState }} {{ x.linkText }}